Boy suffers second-degree burns in viral “fire challenge”

A viral social media challenge has left a 12-year-old boy with second-degree burns on his chin, chest, and stomach.

Jason Cleary is recovering from his injuries after playing the “fire challenge” at a friend’s house. The fire challenge involves dousing oneself in rubbing alcohol or a flammable substance, setting themselves on fire, and immediately extinguishing the flames.

Cleary’s mother, Tabitha, warned parents to be aware of what their children are watching on social media:

“I just want everybody to know that these challenges, or whatever they’re watching on YouTube, is not worth your risking your life. My son got burned second degree, and it could have been way worse.”

🔦 This is not the first case of children falling victim to the viral challenge. In August of 2018, a 12-year-old girl suffered second and third-degree burns on over half of her body after playing the fire challenge.