in ,

Pence, Pompeo secure deal with Turkey for ceasefire in Syria

Vice President Mike Pence announced Thursday that he and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had secured a deal with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan under which Turkey would cease military operations in Syria to allow Kurdish forces to withdraw from the area. Under the agreement, the Turkish military offensive into Syria will cease completely upon the completion of the Kurdish withdrawal.

The vice president said President Trump has agreed to roll back economic sanctions implemented against Turkey earlier this week:

“Part of our understanding is that with the implementation of the ceasefire, the United States will not impose any further sanctions on Turkey. And once a permanent ceasefire is in effect, the President has agreed to withdraw the economic sanctions that were imposed this last Monday.”

The agreement was reached after Pence and Pompeo had a five-hour meeting in Ankara with Erdogan, who had previously said he would never agree to a ceasefire.